Reliable sources have confirmed that serious charges have been laid against the prominent businessman and the inspector, who were involved in the alleged assault of the husband of a senior Government official, earlier this week.
They said the pair were separately charged on criminal offences in the Penal Code, prior a Preliminary Inquiry which is scheduled for January 29, 2018.
They said the police officer was charged with attempted unlawful entry of a dwelling house, contrary to section 143 (1) and 28 of the Penal Code [CAP 135].
He is also facing an additional charge of aiding and abetting of assault, contrary to section 107 (b) and 30 of the Penal Code.
The businessman is facing one count of driving under the influence of alcohol contrary to section 16 of the Road Traffic (Control) Act [CAP 29], a count of malicious damage to property of section 133 of the Penal Code, one count of unlawful entry of a dwelling house against section 143, one charge of criminal trespass contrary to section 144 and one count of intentional assault contrary to section 107 (b) of the Penal Code.
The sources say while the duo were separately charged, it is likely to have them charged jointly, depending on the police investigation.
Both were released on bail after two separate hearings this week, on strict bail conditions.
The conditions refrained the defendants not to interfere directly or indirectly with the prosecution witnesses and not to leave Efate and not to reoffend.
Any breach of these rules will result in an immediate arrest for remand, until the case is heard.